Sci-Fi-O-Rama

Ian Miller – Green Dog Trumpet

Jun 28th, 2010 | Categories: Art | Fantasy | Ian Miller | Illustration | Sci-Fi

Ian Miller - Green Dog Trumpet

Ian Miller - Green Dog Trumpet

Ian Miller - Green Dog Trumpet

Ian Miller - Green Dog Trumpet

A selection of four Images taken from British Artist Ian Miller’s Illustrated compendium “Green Dog Trumpet and Other Stories” (published by Dragons Dream 1978) a book I’m lucky enough to own.

Green Dog Trumpet and Other Stories contains 5 abstract visual tales, each with a loose narrative but no written dialogue – this works splendidly, forcing you to attempt intense studies of  meticulously detailed, chaotic compositions. I tend to find that with each new browsing I notice something new, and it’s hardly surprising – even though some of the illustrations are small there amazingly intricate, worlds you can totally lose yourself in.

As I’ve mentioned in the past Ian is one of my favourite artist’s I feature on the blog, mainly because as a style of illustration it’s just so out there. In fact,  fairly recently on a trip to the cinema I caught Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland re-imaging which (superflous 3d aside) looked, as you might expect visually stunning – once again reminding me of certain close similarities between Miller and Burton’s work. I wonder if there paths have crossed at all ? or if Burton and his team have referenced Miller in the same way Roger Dean was obviously referenced by James Cameron and his Designers for last years SF blockbuster Avatar… Just a thought!

Comments 12

1. Draw says:

Yeah I’m a big fan of his work as well. Is ‘Green Dog Trumpet and Other Stories’ hard to get hold of?

2. Kie says:

Hi Draw,

yeah I picked my copy up via ebay for £10 or so a few years ago – I thought it was quite rare at the time, but it seems more copies have surfaced via Amazon.com – available for a reasonable price – here’s a link

cheers

3. Muttonhead says:

Ian Miller is awesome. I will never forget staring at his illustrations for Games Workshop back in the day. At the time, I stupidly opted not to buy “Ratspike” (something about being a dumb kid with no money) a book that featured his art and the work of John Blanche. Luckily, Forbidden Planet in NYC found copies of the book in their warehouse about 6 years or so ago and I was able to snag one. If you ever get to see his work in person (like, say at IlluXcon in PA in November), you should. It’s an entirely different experience. The undisputed master of using normally technical rapidograph linework to compose artful, flowing, disturbing forms. Great post.

4. Kie says:

Hey Muttonhead…

yeap I agree 100% plus – on all points Ian miller – I know of Ratspike, and have bid on copies of it a few times via ebay… I reckon then it’s time for an Amazon purchase….

As I’ve noted many times in the blog, there’s no one quite like Ian – and never will they be – a style not beyond influence, but certainly imitation/replication

5. Draw says:

Hi Kie, thanks for the link and getting back to me. I was actually just curious, I scored a copy about four years ago and was wondering if it was worth anything.

6. Draw says:

@ Muttonhead: Man! I’d love to see some Ian Miller originals as well

7. kie says:

@ Draw – Hey did you ever check out Ian Miller over on Skiffy? Jeff has some large scans of his Tolkien Work – pretty amazing stuff as you might expect!

8. davidzmorris says:

Okay, I just discovered the site, and I love it, but I have to be straight here – people who substitute “loose” for “lose” drive me into a homocidal rage. There’s blood on your hands.

9. Kie says:

Whoops !! I didn’t spot that one… will ammend!

10. Otto Hottentot says:

At the time when Ian Miller works for GW, there was an illustrator called Wil Rees who worked for them for a little time. His B&W work looks a lot like Ian Miller’s. Of course it is different. But people who love Ian Miller work love Wil Rees work. There a link: http://animewallpapers.lt/Fantasy/Fantasy-art-series/will-rees-warhammer-66915p.html
    It comes for the 1st edition of w40k, for the connaisseur. Tell me what you think, but IMO, great work. After working for gw will rees went Hollywood and work for the movie stars and jonhy deep’s carrabean pirates. IMO his new work has no value. you can see by yourself there: http://wilrees.com/

11. Kie says:

Oh yeah I see what you mean Otto, really, really nice B&W Illustration. Yeah the Movie work, whilst I can appreciate the skill involved it’s not the kind of work I feature here – a very impressive CV however!