Sci-Fi-O-Rama

The Fox

Mar 12th, 2009 | Categories: Illustration | Leo & Diane Dillon | Low Palette | Movie

The Fox

Another post, another vintage book cover!

This timeless, stunningly beautiful Illustration is taken from a Bantam Books edition of D. H. Lawrence’s Novella “The Fox” – though the artwork was originally produced for the 1967 movie adaption starring Kier Dullea, an actor most famously known for playing a certain Dave Bowman… so there’s your Sci-Fi connection!.

D. H. Lawrence’s story of sexual identity center’s around a female couple struggling to run an isolated farmstead with it’s small chicken population under the constant shadow of a raiding fox. The couples life is then disrupted further with the return of Paul, who used to live and work on the farm, and his offer to help out and put things straight… One of the film’s tag lines is “The Fox … symbol of the male”

Though I haven’t read the book I have seen the screen adaption which I’m guessing these days would rank as fairly hard-to-find, it’s  a great film, low-key and very subtle with chilling winter cinematography.

Not a sniff of an original trailer anywhere to be found, so here’s a link straight to imdb.com as always look out for spoilers!!  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062990/

Just for the record, I’ll add that this probably one of my favourite pieces of Graphic Art ever – In fact I’m lucky enough to own an original version of the UK Movie Poster – as for the artist or (artist’s I should say) I’m pretty certain it’s Leo & Diane Dillon – but I need to dig out the poster and confirm!

Comments 9

1. Colin Peters says:

There’s a signature next to the trees, although I can’t quite read it in any of the scans I found.

Still, with some squinting and googling, I’m guessing L & D Dillon (Leo & Diane)

I think the cover for A Stag At Large on that page is a good match for the style.

Also, see the description here.

2. Kie says:

Hey Colin,

many thanks for that L & D Dillon link…. cheers! yeah I bet it is them, like you say ‘A Stag at Large” is a very good Match – and check this, surely a prototype:

Embarrassingly enough I can’t find the poster to have a good look at the signature, it’s hidden away somewhere, i will find it and confirm!… anyway thanks again for the tip!

3. Cobalt says:

It is really exquisite. The colours and overall composition seem to match the story well, and the type is wonderful. Any more information about it ?

4. Kie says:

HI there,

there’s a little feature on the Artist’s here: http://www.bpib.com/l&dillon.htm

Not so sure about the film, there’s a $60 asking price for a VHS Copy on amazon http://is.gd/p1H6

Though better news is you can pic up a reprint of the poster on ebay for $10

5. [...] Sci-Fi-O-Rama) The Fox This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 and is filed under [...]

6. seewoods says:

I’ve always loved the Dillons, and this is a beautiful example of their work. Very smooth and sixties. I like how the whole thing flows, from the type to the hair and the hill.

7. Paul Schutz says:

Ha! Found this at some random NYC street stand in the mid-90′s and bought it because I loved the cover. I ended up loving the story too, and interestingly enough the film version features a young, pre-2001 Keir Dullea.

8. Kie says:

Yeah although It’s been years seen I last saw it, I remember it being very mesmerising

9. tests says: